Monday, November 29, 2010

MSP >> DCA


Here I sit, crammed between two other Delta passengers, typing away. Ordinarily, this situation would have thrown me into an angst-filled tizzy, but not today. Today I have too much to think about; worry about; look forward to. D.C. is merely a stopping point on my way to South Africa and Ghana with the American Council of Young Political Leaders (ACYPL).

ACYPL sends small delegations of young people who work in politics or government all over the world, to witness the inner-workings of their political systems. “During the two-week program, delegates meet and interact with a diverse array of national, regional, and local government officials as well as policy, corporate, and community leaders to debate ideas and issues and share experiences in government.” Whew.

Ran into ACYPL-alum (and state rep) Laura Brod while waiting for the plane. She went with the group to Turkey in 1999, and had a great experience. She has a lifetime membership, keeps in contact with her cohort, and had suggestions of other alumni I should talk to.

Side note: Laura had run into fellow Republican Susan McDonald, and the two waited to board our delayed flight at the bar inside the terminal. Well done, ladies. I would have preferred that to sitting next to a European couple that nuzzled each other for 45 minutes. I can’t hate too much though. In my haste to flee the scene when the plane began boarding, my wallet slipped out of my bag, and the male of this disturbing duo was nice enough to bring it back to me.

I don’t really know what to expect from this trip. I’ve traveled extensively overseas, but mostly for pleasure. I did, however, wake up this morning feeling like a child at Christmas. I don’t honestly care what we do…

Because I’ll have limited access to e-mail, etc., I thought I would document my day-to-day experiences here. Maybe a few friends and loved ones will read this, but this is just as much so I never forget a single detail of what I learn! 

No comments:

Post a Comment