Friday, December 10, 2010

December 3: Caterpillars taste bad


I won’t be able to write much today; which is probably a reprieve for all of you because I wrote so much tomorrow. I have to apologize for how long each of my entries will likely be. I am attempting to empty my brain at the end of each day. Today, my brain is just too tired.

Here’s a rundown: I was late to the bus because I burned my arm on the iron (at least my dress wasn't wrinkled). It's actually pretty bad (see below)! 


We started the day at the U.S. Embassy in Pretoria, with a briefing and media avail. But don’t worry members of the University of Minnesota press team! I excused myself from commenting on wide-sweeping matters of U.S. foreign policy. I didn’t think anyone would want my personal thoughts on Wikileaks. We ate lunch at the U.S. Consulate, and took a short break for dinner.

Ray Tripp from the embassy set us up for dinner and show at the Market Theatre in Joburg. Highlight of dinner: eating a caterpillar. It was awful, and I think I turned green, but I did it. It tasted like jello with litte bones in it, but it was spicy. I went first, and was feeling pretty good about myself when Ryan couldn’t choke it down, but was quickly knocked off my high horse when Peter swallowed it easily.

We saw a show called Songs of Migration. It was based on the generations of immigrants who have come to South Africa. It was all music and sung in many different languages, but easy enough to follow. The music is so beautiful, it was really moving.

After the show, we were talking to a few people in the audience, and one person who was introduced to Ryan said, “You’re from Tennessee? My great-grandmother was a slave in Tennessee.” Wow. The way she said it wasn’t accusatory or confrontational in tone; she was genuinely connecting with him. They talked for a while, then went their separate ways, both with smiles on their faces. I can’t put my finger on the cultural difference here yet, but it seems like African culture is to find similarities in everyone you meet. This woman may have brought up slavery because it was a shared experience.

Must sign off now; have 15 channels of soccer to watch before bed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment